State Event Supervisors
The Pennsylvania Science Olympiad has moved to a new model for event supervision starting with the 2017 tournaments.
The change will lead to a more consistent experience among the regional tournaments and will facilitate finding event supervisors for regional and state tournaments.
State Event Supervisor Duties:
- Thoroughly understand the rules for your event and communicate with the national event supervisor as needed to resolve questions
- Serve as a resource person for persons serving as event supervisors for your event at tournaments in Pennsylvania
- Ensure that event rules are consistently understood and applied at competitions in Pennsylvania by communicating with regional event supervisors of your event prior to each tournament
- Present or assist with presentation of your event at the annual Pennsylvania coaching clinic (you will receive the information on your event as soon as it is available each year)
- Write the test (if applicable) for your event to be used at all regional tournaments.
- In addition, prepare event supervisor guidelines on how to run your event to assist regional event supervisors.
- The guidelines should include equipment lists, numbers of setups needed, and advice to affectively run the event.
- If your event has a lab, include guidelines to provide uniform lab experiences for all regional tournaments (as much as possible).
- We are looking for consistency in difficulty for the labs, not necessarily identical labs. Guidelines for test events should include additional background a regional event supervisor might need to grade your test.
- Both the test and the event supervisor guidelines should be submitted to the state director by February 15.
- The state director will forward these to the regional site directors by February 22.
- You are not required to run your event at regional tournaments, but are encouraged to do so.
- If you travel to any regional tournament other than the one your team participates in, you will be reimbursed for travel expenses.
- For regional tournaments that you plan to attend, please contact the regional director no later than February 1 to let him/her know that you will be there to run your event.
- Write the test (if applicable) and run your event at the Pennsylvania state tournament (or find a knowledgeable replacement to run it if you are unable)
- The test for the state tournament must be different from the test for the regional tournaments.
- This test should be submitted to the state tournament director by April 1.
- If you travel to the state tournament and your team does not qualify, you will be reimbursed for travel expenses.
If you need further information, have questions, or would like to volunteer, please contact Board Member Dave Moyer at DMoyer@PASciOly.org.